Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Brewskies

Those who know Peter know that Peter enjoys a tipple from time to time. They know that Peter takes his tipple with some murk, some stank. So in my limited time here, I've found that most beers on offer are very light, ranging from pilsner to lager. I was starting to miss my Summit EPAs, Newcastles, and Coffee Benders. Maybe my palate is such a blunt instrument that the finer notes of berry or undertones of oak escape me, that the only drinks that register look like something you hope doesn't leak through the bottom of a garbage bag.

Anyway, this past weekend I had a few opportunities to dabble in South African microbrews and was delighted with what I found. On Saturday I sampled a coffee stout at the Neighborgoods Market in Braamfontein, on tap no less! On Sunday I was treated to an IPA from Smack Republic Brewing. They had only been operating for a month and the guy pouring was so enthusiastic to meet an American I think the South Africans in line were starting to get self-conscious about disappointing him. The brewer told me that South African microbrewers are rather envious of our craft brew scene. He even offered, "Your microbrews are my God." OK, part of that story didn't happen, but I'm exercising my authorial discretion to increase drama.

He added that the IPA is only for "black belt beer drinkers." If I'm going to lap up praise on behalf of my 300 million paisanos, then I might as well self-select as a black belt beer drinker.

I will also shamelessly take credit for South Africa's soon-to-be-booming microbrew industry. The remuneration might have been negligible (read: a pint I paid 30 rand [~$3] for), but I like to imagine myself as a modern-day Johnny Appleseed. Instead of seeds, however, I sow hope and inspiration to the microbrewers of Joburg.

1 comment:

  1. A coffee stout sounds delicious right now. And Smack Republic is a great name for a brewery. Why didn't America think of that?!

    ReplyDelete